Tuesday 24 March 2009

Babe Ruth

Some years ago I was attending a worldwide sales conference in Chicago for the software company I was working for at the time. The President of the company William Nelson III was giving his keynote speech and during it he said the following:

"Babe Ruth is considered by most Baseball fans to be the greatest player of all time. During his career, he set the record for the number of home runs in a single season, a record which stood for decades. What is less well known is that in that same season he also set the record for striking out.

Why am I telling you this? Well the lesson it seems to me, is that to succeed you have to take chances and risk falling on your backside. Or, to put it another way, the only reason I am the president of the company and you are not is because I have made more mistakes than you have".

I have heard similar sentiments expressed many times, but never quite so succinctly.

No comments: